Thursday, May 21, 2009

The ladder approach

I would confess that i am not a speed guru. But, once in a while everyone one of us thinks about the SPEED factor, the wind through the hair, long smooth strides, hard breathing, and the ecstasy that follows.

Once in a while i let myself indulge in it and see what is possible. Yesterday was an unplanned day, could have been an easy run of 10 Kms, but i was not sure to do that. So i just thought to run on a speed of 4.5 min/Km and see how far i can go. I managed a non-stop 2.5 Km stretch. Although it is not a lot, but it was good. I ended up running the distance in 10:50, which is faster then what i expected.
That gave me some confidence about the shape i am in, and what i can be in. Now I can think of doing same for a 3Km distance, and later a 5Km. My current 5k time is just under 24 min, the goal is to bring that down to 22:30. Not bad! That sounds like more speed intervals, more hill training and more drills :) I love the idea. Its cool to climb the ladder!
Cheers,
Guru.

1 comment:

Santy said...

Hi Guru, Many Thanks for your response & Good Luck on ur running too.