Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Heat, Humidity and Speed Intervals

The race day for the 10K is arriving in another 3 weeks. So, i am taking all the weather "conditions" that could prevail on that day. Usually, like last year, it can go hot, but will have less humidity compared to Mumbai. Or, it can get even more HOT and a bit more humid. Lastly, it could rain as well.
I have been training in the humid conditions for a long time, so i can resist that. Rains are ok, we (intermediates) don't get too much impacted by them. Only big concern is heat. If they start the race at 9 am in the morning (which is extremely ridiculous, and happened last time), then anything can happen. So, in order to get used to the heat, i planned for a day time run (yesterday). To make it even more difficult, i made it an interval session. according to internet, the conditions were

Temperature - 95 °F
Humidity - 80%

I ran 8 intervals of half kilometers at a pace of 4.5 min/Km with less then 20 sec recovery in between. I used my racing shoes while doing so. Didn't want to push, so limited them to 8 , rather then 10 which i usually i do.
Overall, it was a good experience. If i have a cap and water then i think i will be able to resist the heat. I will try to do another 2-3 such day runs and try to get stronger.

Today morning, i ran an easy 7.5 Km in 44 mns.

1 comment:

Santy said...

Hi Guru, I have just started to practice for Running Bangalore 10k. Can u pls tell me - during ur initial days, were u able to run continuously (non stop) for 3 or 5 kms? Did u do Bangalore 10k run non stop?

For my part, I did 4 kms today with one stop of 3 mins. But also I ended u walking a lot as I it was tiring. Will appreciate ur sharing of some tips.
- Santosh - www.skwebz.com/run